Post Offices

Post offices were, of course, a vital communications link. At first, mail arrived by steamboat to Whitesville (or Garey's Ferry or Middleburg) and later to the river settlements of Magnolia Springs (Green Cove Springs) and Laurel Grove (Orange Park). In the late 19th century whistle stop post offices were set up along the JT&KW railroad as well as the Green Cove Springs and Melrose railroad.

Most times the post offices were located in a local general store, or even in a prominent citizen's home.

Postmasters Convention 1926

Photo of the state convention of postmasters at the Village Improvement Association, 1926.

In Order of Establishment

To learn more about the places, visit the Towns and Settlements page.
Whitesville (1828)
Garey's Ferry (1843)
Magnolia Point (1848)
Hibernia (1849)
Middleburg(h) (1851)
Magnolia Mills (1853)
Chesawiskia (1858)
Palan (1858)
Laurel Grove (1866)
Green Cove Springs (1867)
Magnolia (1870)
Wilderness (1874)
Brooklyn Lake (1877)
Highland (Station) (1878)
Kingsley (1878)
Orange Park (1881, and perhaps sooner)
Lakeside (1881)
McRae (1883)
Novella (1884)
Sharon (1884)
Belmore (1885)
West Tocoi (1885)
Englewood (1886)
Ionia (1886)
Lakeview (1886)
Peoria (1886)
Walkill (1886)
Federal Hill (1887)
Wilby (1888)
Long Branch (1889)
Oak Ridge (1889)
Brooklyn (1890)
Magnolia Springs (1890)
Spring Lake (1890)
Athens (1891)
Newburg (1891)
Waller (1893)
Quigley (1894)
Durham (1897)
Oypas (1898)
Claudia (1899)
Clyde (1900)
Rideout (1900)
Russell (1900)
Brixton (1901)
Montezuma (1907)
Lake Geneva (1908)
Sunnyside (1908)
Prox (1911)
Doctors Inlet (1913)
Keystone Heights (1924)
Penney Farms (1926)
Camp Blanding (1940)

Photos

Orange Park

1880s

Sabin Store

 

1920s

Orange Park

Russell

1926