Middleburg Sawmills

Black Creek (mouth)

In Niles Register, Vol 64, pg 360, (Aug 5, 1843) a visitor writes that he saw the ruins of a sawmill at Black Creek. Apparently the owners had been killed and scalped during the Second Seminole War.

Bennett Sawmill

Lewis S. Bennett had a saw mill in Middleburg in 1844. {Parade of Memories, pg 52]

Brown Sawmill

Thomas J. Brown wanted to sell his mill, two miles from Garey’s Ferry.[see Early History, pg 123]

Buddington & Wilson Sawmill

Buddington had a saw mill soon after he arrived in the Middleburg area. He sold it to Joseph W. Scott on October 28, 1848, and again to Joseph W. Scott on October 28, 1853.

Totally destroyed by fire from railroad engine’s spark, March 18, 1887. [see Southern Reporter, Vol ,18, pg. 765]

Burrows Mill

Henry M. Burrows operated an early sawmill in Green Cove Springs. (See Hooper’s “Clay County,” pg 72.)

Fairhead, Strawn & Co

Fairhead, Stawn & Co mill in Middleburg caught fire injuring fireman James Prevatt, Mr. Price and several black laborers (Florida Times Union, Oct 7, 1899)

Frank Masters injured his hand on December 21, 1900 (Florida Times Union)

Fougere Sawmill

At Black Creek. The Marquis de Fougere purchased land from Villalobos. Details are described in Early History, pg 106. A condition of the original grant was that a sawmill be erected.

Gold Head State Park

Grist Mill CL00673

This mill operated as a saw mill, grist mill and cotton gin. “Bonnie Melrose,” pg 112 indicates that the mill works came from McCarthy’s shop at Orange Springs.

Hart, Ambrose

See “Lumberman and log sawyer”, and perhaps mentioned in his letters

Highland

A mill at Highland, with direct access to the Florida Railroad (Parade of Memories, pg 125).

Hilliards Lumber Mill

In Middleburg. Damaged on May 1, 1901 (Florida Times Union)

Horton Lumber and Saw Mill

Built in about 1883 by Henry H. Horton in Orange Park. Webb’s History of Florida, 1885, says it turned out 7,500 ft of lumber per day and employed seven men. It used a 25-horsepower engine to make boards, laths and shingles.

Hull’s Mill

1896 school board minutes indicate that the Honey Hill school for black children was located between Middleburg and Hull’s Mill.

Prescott & Cole

Darlin C. Prescott and James B. Cole bought Varnes land and built a mill, 1847. The ensuing foreclosures are highlighted in Parade of Memories, pg 52.

Keystone Heights Lumber Co.

Primarily focused on building local tourist homes.

Moss’ Mill

After the Civil War, BCC minutes show citizens of Middleburg and vicinty requested a change of location of the ferries on Black Creek, by moving the ferry at M. A. Knights to Moss’ saw Mill and to consolidate Chalkers and Brannings ferries into one at the forks of Black Creek. Signed M. A. Knight, A. C. Chalker, Ivy Williamson, T. J. Dillaberry, Henry Ayers, Charlie Bardin, J. R. Shore, Gad Frisbee, Elias Tedder, M. F Geiger, J. J. Dillaberry, A. H. Moss, W. W. Hull, Jr., M. H. Teratus.

Built an addition to his mill (The Spring, August 15, 1891)

Varnes, Isaac

Sold to Prescott and Cole (Parade of Memories, pg 52)

Yonge, Henry

(Spanish) Henry Yonge (Young) petitions for a mill site on Black Creek and a square of 5 miles to supply timber for the sawmill.

This sawmill had not yet been constructed by the time the Claims Commission met, and Yonge petitiioned for an extension of the condition, but the huge 16,000 acre grant was unconfirmed.

Scottland Mill (Scotland Mill)

At the fork of Black Creek. Part of the Jennings Artesian Land Co.

Scottland Mill on Black Creek

Scroll Up