Towns and Settlements A-B

Allen Lake

Named for Wyatt C. Allen (22-8-23)

Ates Creek

A tributary of the South Fork of Black Creek.

Athens

Eighth stop of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations. “Parade of Memories” indicates it was also called Belmore, although this may be in error since several maps show them as distinct. It boasted a post office from 1891 through 1894. It last appears on a map in 1897.

Banana

Sometimes used interchangeable with Melrose, but more strictly speaking a location a little south of Melrose on Etoniah Creek which had a Banana Mill (about 1867 – 1910) and a post office (1875 – 1894). Slightly outside Clay County.

B & W Junction

Eleventh of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations (est. 1882 and closed before 1900). Only once on a map in 1891.

Bayard Tract (later Walkill)

Named for Bayard Clinch, son of Duncan Clinch. Laid out by Duncan Clinch it didn’t last long because of the Seminole Wars, and only appeared on a map in 1835 (courtesy of Roy Winkelman). Later resurrected and mentioned in “Where to Go in Florida”, 1880.

Belmore (or Belmore City; previously called Athens)

Map of Belmore

Sixth stop of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations. Shown on plat book 1, pg 20. Promoted itself in 1884. Boasted a post office from 1885 through 1917. A cemetery (sometimes called the Evergreen Cemetery at Belmore) was consecrated in 1892. It begins appearing on maps in 1886 (source lost), on a map in 1888 as Delmore (spelling error), and as the end of the line for the uncompleted Green Cove Springs & Melrose Railroad in 1890. It last appears on a map in 1898 (Rand McNally). “Parade of Memories,” pg 6 indicates without source that it was previously called Athens, but is shown on several maps as a distinct settlement. (T4-R24)

See Belmore’s original plat (1885)

Parade of Memories (pg. 67) deduces Piney Grove was once called Scrub and may then have become the nucleus for Belmore.

Black Creek (area)

Early accounts often simply refer to Black Creek since no settlement areas had been named yet. The Spanish called it Rio Blanco (White River), and the Seminoles called it Wealuste. The creek system stretches far into the county and was of major importance during colonial and territorial periods. Ft. Heileman used it to float hundreds of shipments of supplies to its storage facilities. Middleburg (previously Garey’s Ferry, Ft. Heileman, and Whitesville) is at the fork of the north and south prongs. A railroad stop was at “Black Creek” from 1888 through 1891.

Black Creek Arsenal

Previously called Garey’s Ferry Ordinance Depot, it lay across the creek from Garey’s Ferry, just opposite the boat ramp. It was positioned away from the fort, to avoid explosions. In operation 1837-1840.

Black Creek, Lake of

Appears on the 1865 Civil War Map, Sheet XI. (No other references known. Now called Varnes Lake.)

Bone Esperance

Andrew Pleym’s plantation, where the Lower Crisp had been at Creighton’s Island (North Fleming Island).

Blue Pond

A lake with a small settlement near it. First appeared on a sectional map in 1888 Plant System map and the last in 1897 Rand McNally map. A cemetery was established there before 1869, with the last burial being in 1891. In Camp Blanding.

Brainerd (Brainerd; apparently also called Hugh(s))

A stop on the Florida Transit and Peninsular RR (est.1861), called Atlantic, Gulf and West India RR (from 1872). First appeared on a map in 1888 Plant System map and last appeared in 1894 Matthews-Northrup map.

Brooklyn (see Keystone Heights, which it was renamed in 1921)

Brooklyn Lake

Perhaps named by New York solders at Fort No. 11

Buck Creek

An incorrect label for Black Creek on the 1933 Official Road Map of Florida

Bull Creek

A tributary of the South Fork of Black Creek.

Burlington Sawmill Grant

100 acre tract of the McIntosh estate (Laurel Grove), sold in 1853 to H. R. Sadler, Sr.

Scroll Up