Towns and Settlements C-D
Cain Field (see Elm Springs)
Near Walkill. In operation during 1836.. See Plat Book 1, page 33 at the Clerk of the Court website.
Camp Blanding (which occupies historical Waller and surrounding area)
Camp Brown (see Fort Brown)
Keystone Heights. See their water tower photo in the centerfold of Parade of Memories.
Clarks Creek (Clarkes Creek)
A short creek which flows directly into the St. Johns, south of Green Cove Springs. A 1929 map shows the creek system rather well.
Mentioned in only reference — the 1899 list of post offices.
Chesuuiskia (Chesuwiskia, Chesawiskia, Cheswiski, Chesuwiski)
Boasted a post office in 1858 and 1859. It lost its post office in 1860 when no one bid for postal route 6519.(see Congressional series of United States public documents U.S. Government Printing Office, 1860 pg.279) “Florida From When We Came” pg 21 indicates Chesuwiski was previously called Thomasville. First appears on a map in 1874 (source lost) and finally in 1882.
It appears only on the Cram railroad map of 1889 (circa) and in plat book 1, pg 31 in 1898. It was the first of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations (est. 1882 and closed before 1900). More often, it is a station on the JT&KW line where Walkill was.
Clyde (see West Tocoi)
Constancia (Constantia) (see Magnolia Springs)
The name of the Travers grant just north of Governors Creek. It is a small part of what was the British grant to Patrick Tonyn. Later, the Spanish granted it to Thomas Travers. WIlliam Travers inherited it and named it after his daughter. His wife Rebecca (Smith) inherited it after his death. She later married Joseph Finnegan, who became the CSA general in command of Florida.
Crisp (or Crispe, Upper Crisp & Lower Crisp)
Both the Upper Crisp and Lower Crisp (see a detailed treatment) were land grants of the James Crisp who entered into an agreement with the Earl of Egmont during the British Period to develop them. The Upper Crisp comprised not only what later became Pengree and Kingsley’s Laurel Grove (Orange Park are), but stretched far to the northwest. The Lower Crisp was just south of the mouth of Doctors Lake and comprised Creighton island and more.
Devil’s Wash Basin
Now called Deer Lake. In Gold Head State Park
Doctors Inlet (most likely prev. called Willford)
Doctors Inlet boasted a post office from 1913. Plat book 2, pg 17 shows its railroad depot. It first appears on a map in 1920.
Doctors Lake (rarely called Lake Levett)
Briefly called Lake Levett (after Francis Levett land grant) during the British period, it has been known as Doctors Lake since the second Spanish period.
1890s showing Bardin estate now Doctors Lake Estates area, along with four large lots running the extent of west side of lake.
A very short-lived community, boasting a post office from 1897-1900. Not map references found.