Towns and Settlements E-F

Elm Springs (Fuente de Alamo)

Englewood

Only listed on the 1886 list of post offices.

Etoniah (Etoniah Scrub) (once misspelled Ekoniah)

A region of Indian encampments on the Clay – Putnam border. Some early accounts describe the interior of Clay as Etoniah, including Louise Seymour Townsend’s travel account, “Ekoniah Scrub“.

Federal Hill

Boasted a post office from 1887 through 1894. A northern man tried to develop it, charging southerners more for lots than northerners. Not surprisingly it didn’t thrive. The Archives retains a subject file containing a beautiful town map showing Lincoln Park at its center, along with a pamphlet and other items. Only its cemetery survives.

False

One of a series of visual navigation aids on the west side of the St. John’s in Clay County, including: Fire (at Duval County line), Doctor (Orange Park), Lake (where Doctors Lake bridge touches Fleming Island), Ragged (Raggedy Point), False, Middle, Hibernia, Wharf, White House, Fleming, Wilkies (just south of Black Creek), Magnolia (Point), (Magnolia) Hotel, David (Green Cove Springs), Clarendon (Hotel), White, Seppho, Draper, Red (Putnam County line) [FL State Archives: US Coast Survey, Progress Sketch Sec. VI, 1877]

Fire

One of a series of visual navigation aids on the west side of the St. John’s in Clay County, including: Fire (at Duval County line), Doctor (Orange Park), Lake (where Doctors Lake bridge touches Fleming Island), Ragged (Raggedy Point), False, Middle, Hibernia, Wharf, White House, Fleming, Wilkies (just south of Black Creek), Magnolia (Point), (Magnolia) Hotel, David (Green Cove Springs), Clarendon (Hotel), White, Seppho, Draper, Red (Putnam County line) [FL State Archives: US Coast Survey, Progress Sketch Sec. VI, 1877]

Fleming

One of a series of visual navigation aids on the west side of the St. John’s in Clay County, including: Fire (at Duval County line), Doctor (Orange Park), Lake (where Doctors Lake bridge touches Fleming Island), Ragged (Raggedy Point), False, Middle, Hibernia, Wharf, White House, Fleming, Wilkies (just south of Black Creek), Magnolia (Point), (Magnolia) Hotel, David (Green Cove Springs), Clarendon (Hotel), White, Seppho, Draper, Red (Putnam County line) [FL State Archives: US Coast Survey, Progress Sketch Sec. VI, 1877]

Fouts Mill

Martin Fouts. Settlement named in 1910 Census.

Fuente de Laurel (see Springfield)

Fuente de Alamo (see Elm Springs)

Fleming Island

Previously called Hibernia (i.e. Ireland) by Georgia Fleming, who received a Spanish land grant. During the British Period called Hawkes Island. Home of the Fleming Family. Hibernia first appeared on a map in 1823 and Fleming first appeared in 1837. Boasted a post office from 1849 to 1931. There are many resources related to this area, including “Hibernia: The Unreturning Tide” by Margaret Seton Fleming, available at the Archives. A cemetery was consecrated at St. Margaret’s in 1821 and remains active. Fleming sported a railroad stop from 1888 for about twenty years.

Florence (See Newburg)

Appearing on a map only once in 1891, it is possible that the map is in error.

Florence Mills (See Novella)

Flowers Prairie

Named after Lewis Flowers, about 1880 (36-8-23)

Fort Bayard (See Camp Augusta)

Fort Brown

Mentioned in Brennan’s land grant, otherwise unknown.

Fort Fuegers (or Fuegers Fort)

Only shown on one map in 1829. Shown on the north side of the North Fork where the Ft. Heileman armory later stood.

Fort Heileman (at boat ramp in Middleburg; See Middleburg)

Ft. Heileman was a Second Seminole War army fort with associated supply depot.  An archaeological dig was completed to examine exposed bricks.

Fort Magnolia

Hastily erected during the Civil War. See Magnolia Springs.

Fort No. 11

At Lake No. 11

Fort Sanderson

A temporary fort of the Seminole War period 1840-1841. At least one private, Lyman Franklin Rounds, was known to enlist there, on Sept 27, 1840 into the 7th Infantry Co. Exact location unknown.

Fort Van Cortland(t)

Near Kinsley Lake in 1839 (Seminole Wars)

Fouts Mill

A mill in southwest Clay County. An election precinct name in the same area according to the 1930 census map

Scroll Up