Towns and Settlements I-L
Indian Boundary Line
To keep the peace, the British governor Grant convened a congress with the Indians at Picolata and established a line across which Indians and settlers were not allowed to cross. This worked well during the British period but was not effective during the later Spanish period. The area was not well mapped in the 1760s, but it is clearly shown on the 1823 Vignoles map.
One of three settlements along the Alachua Trail, along with Mrs. Monroe’s and Trail Ridge (Highland). It first appears on a map in 1888, but it boasted a post office from 1886 to 1903.
Ivatanoa (Joltanoga, Jotanoga, Ilatamaa, Jurlanoca)
Yamasee and/or Seminole Indian settlements. One may be in the forks of Black Creek, and there are reports of later Seminole Indian huts in the Middleburg vicinity. They appear on several maps (1677 Ivatanoa in Timucuan chiefdoms of Spanish Florida. Vol. 2 by John Worth, and again in 1694 in Archaeology of Mission Santa Catalina de Guale by Amy Turner Bushnell.
Maps showing the settlement:
- 1742 Ilatamaa on Covens
- 1776 Joltanoga on Romans
- 1816 on Melish
- Joltanoga (Jotanoga), being 25 miles from Pupo on the Apalachee trail as shown on an 1816 map.
Kellums (or Kellums Junction)
Ninth of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations (est. 1882 and closed before 1900). First appearing on a map in 1897 and last in 1900. It was one of the few stops without a post office. The Kellum family is known to have been in the Clay County area as early as 1846.
Keystone Heights (renamed from Brooklyn in 1921)
Keystone Heights was called Brooklyn until 1921. Brooklyn boasted a post office from 1877 through 1910. It was a stop on the Georgia Southern & Florida RR (Est 1890 and closed in1950s). First appeared on a map in 1882. In 1921, J. J. Lawrence moved to the area from Pittsburg and began promoting it as Keystone Heights. The Keystone Inn opened in 1924 and the town incorporated in 1925. It first appeared on a map much later in 1932, hinting how poor the roads were to that area. It is detailed in “Parade of Memories.”
First appeared on a map in 1874 (source lost), again in 1882. It boasted a post office from 1878 through 1906. It is mentioned in “The Key Line” (1884): “[Capt. S. J. Temple] has established a tram-road to Kingsley, six miles distant [from Temple Station, Bradford County], one of the most attractive and prosperous places in this region. It is ten miles from Middleburg, the head of navigation for steamboats on Black creek, a tributary of the St. John’s river, and is situated on the shore of Kingsley Lake, a beautiful sheet of clear water, almost perfectly circular and about two miles in diameter, whose surface is some ninety feet above tide-water, giving on its outlet to Black creek a magnificent water-power. The lake is surrounded by high, wooded banks, and the vicinity is settled by a colony of enterprising Northern people. Hunting, fishing, boating, etc., are among the amusements enjoyed by many winter visitors, who find pleasant quarters in private families.”
Founded by Simeon Strickland in 1859, nine miles south of Highland. Webb’s directory (1885) indicates it had two churches.
Kingsley’s Pond / Kingsley Lake
Named for Zephaniah Kingsley, of Laurel Grove. The surveyor who first surveyed the lake area was friends with Kingsley and is believed to have named the lake after him. A cemetery was established there by as early as 1859 when J. V. Prevatt was buried there, now owned by the Kingsley Lake Baptist Church. Ann Monroe received a land grant there in 1839 (see Parade of Memories), followed by John Harden, Philip Cox, Joseph Truluck, Cassel Sullivan, Randolph Chalker and others.
Lake Geneva (or just Geneva)
A stop on the Georgia Southern & Florida RR (est 1890 and closed in 1950s). First appears on a map in 1888 and again in 1894. It boasted a post office in 1908 and 1909. It is described in “Parade of Memories.” Hiram Alderman’s on Lake Geneva is shown, from the travelogue “Ekoniah Scrub” by Louise Seymour Townsend. This etching (c1880) is one of the first landscapes showing detail in Clay County.
Originally called Lake No 11, its name was changed to Lake Geneva when the Santa Fe Canal Co. was organized.
Named after Gertrude Meriam (32-8-23)
Lake Levett (see Doctors Lake)
Lake No. 11
Lake Geneva is called Lake No. 11 on Territorial Surveys.
Lake View (or Lakeview, or Lake View on Kingsley Lake)
Tenth of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations (est. 1882 and closed before 1900). First appearing on a map in 1886 and again in 1891. It boasted a post office from 1886 through 1900. The Tropical Land Co. had great plans for establishing Lake View in 1885, and published an ad and map in the Jacksonville Board of Trade Report of that year. As it turned out, the line from Belmore ran farther south and bypassed Lake View.
Lakeside (on Sandhill Lake)
It first appears on a map in 1891 on. It last appears on a map in 1900. It boasted a post office from 1881 through 1902. Webb’s directory (1885) indicated it was settled in 1881 by Mr. M. W. Lee, the postmaster in 1885. It had 150 people, and a church. It is situated on rising ground about 25 feet above the level of Sand Hill Lake.
Well known as the first Kingsley Plantation (at Orange Park) in the second Spanish period. He purchased it from Rebecca Pengree (William Pengree’s widow). Previously part of the Upper Crisp during the British period. Burned by Ana Kingsley to keep it from rebels. Substantial treatment can be found in “Early History of Clay County”, “Parade of Memories” as well as a host of publications about Kingsley. First appears on a map much later than it was formed, in 1874. The name was retired when Orange Park was developed by Washington Benedict. Boasted a post office from 1866 to 1874.
Zephaniah Kingsley sold the plantation to John Houston McIntosh in 1817, who in turn sold it to Stephen Bryan in 1853.
Harriett Beecher Stowe was well acquainted with the property in the late 1860s and in Palmetto Leaves she wrote a few paragraphs about the ex-slaves community there.
Early maps show Leno west on Clark’s Creek, but later it apparently moved east and became a railroad station. Whether the ACL RR borrowed the name, or the settlers actually happened to move is unclear.
Long Branch (see Penney Farms, to which it was renamed in 1927)
The school at Long Branch is shown.
This town was developed by Florida Farms & Industries, which built a canning plant in 1921.
Lower Crisp (see Crisp)