Towns and Settlements M-N
In Orange Park. Not to be confused with Magnolia Springs Cemetery. Moosehaven Cemetery is a section on the Magnolia Cemetery grounds.
Magnolia Springs (The Tonyn Plantation, Santa Thomasa(o), Glorat, Constancia / Constantia, Magnolia Mills)
Part of the Tonyn land grant in the British period, Magnolia Springs later passed to Thomas Travers, his son William Travers, William’s wife Rebecca Travers, then to her husband Joseph Finnegan, who sold it to Summerlin, who sold it to Nathan Benedict, who sold it Seth Rogers, then to Fay & Cruft, then to Seavey. It has a long history stretching as far back as 1763. It saw activity during the Seminole Wars (called Camp at Magnolia in 1839) and the Civil War. Its glory days were the hotel era when the Magnolia Springs Hotel was in operation and as it faded the Florida Military Academy moved in. A Brief History of Magnolia Springs has been prepared, and 400 pages of source documents are available at the Archives. A cemetery was consecrated at Magnolia Springs, is no longer active, and is owned by the county. Boasted a ferry for a brief period, and a saw mill. A post office was in operation from 1848 to 1926. A J, T&KW (ACL) railroad depot served the hotel. A long pier served steam boats. See plat book 1, pg 14.
McIntosh Plantation (Mackintosh)
McIntosh bought Laurel Grove from Kingsley. See Laurel Grove.
One of the only settlements that was even near the Bellamy Road. I boasted a post office from 1883 through 1916. It first appeared on a map in 1888 and finally in 1920.
Melrose (Melrose Crossing, prev. called Shakerag)
A settlement existed at Melrose as early as 1864, when a letter survives calling it Shakerag. Melrose first appears on a map in 1888. Melrose is split into Putnam, Clay and Bradford counties. Two important histories of Melrose have been written by Zonira Hunter Tolles: “Bonnie Melrose,” and “Shadows in the Sand.” The terminus of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR (est. 1882 and closed before 1900). Situated at Lake Santa Fe.
One of a series of visual navigation aids on the west side of the St. John’s in Clay County, including: Fire (at Duval County line), Doctor (Orange Park), Lake (where Doctors Lake bridge touches Fleming Island), Ragged (Raggedy Point), False, Middle, Hibernia, Wharf, White House, Fleming, Wilkies (just south of Black Creek), Magnolia (Point), (Magnolia) Hotel, David (Green Cove Springs), Clarendon (Hotel), White, Seppho, Draper, Red (Putnam County line) [FL State Archives: US Coast Survey, Progress Sketch Sec. VI, 1877]
Middleburg (Garey’s Ferry, Ft. Heileman)
First called Garey’s Ferry after Samuel Garey, in the Niles Register in 1836. It appeared on the 1837 John Lee Williams map, the 1842 Breese map and even though its name had changed eventually to Middleburg appeared on the Letts map as late as 1883. It was the site of Ft. Heileman, at the exact fork of Black Creek up to the park near the boat ramp during the second Seminole War. The name Middleburg first appears on a map in 1864. A cemetery was established at Ft. Heileman and another across the north prong (Branning’s). This area is well treated in both “Parade of Memories” and “Early History of Clay County”.
An old Indian site called Joltanoga (Jotanoga), being 25 miles from Pupo on the Apalachee trail as shown on an 1816 map and located where Middleburg is now.
A bay on the south side of Doctors Lake, indicating the probably location of an early saw or sugar mill. Also the location of a small bombing range during WWII.
One of three settlements on the Alachua – St. Mary’s trail, along with Trailridge (Highland) and Ionia. It sat at the intersection of the Alachua – St. Mary’s trail and the trail to Black Creek. It was a road house (inn) far out in the country and must have been a frightful place. It was burned by Indians in 1836 (Niles’ Weekly Register, Volume 50 H. Niles, 1836 – ). It appears again on an 1864 Civil War map, so it may have been rebuilt, or the copyist may not have known it no longer existed. It is mentioned in the State Laws of Florida (pg 112 A Digest of the Statute Law of Florida of a General and Public Character: In Force Up to the First Day of January, 1872 )C. H. Walton, state printer, 1872 – Florida – 838 pages) to describe the eastern boundary of Columbia County.
Transcribed from Bradford County Telegraph, 100th Anniversary Edition, 1979, section 2, pg 3 “What about this lady who was so well known that her name appears on military maps of the Civil War period, now on display in the museum at Olustee Battlefield State Park? Based on the meager information available, it is believed that Mrs. Monroe had a farm at this well-traveled intersection, and likely operated a “rest stop” in the days of horse-drawn vehicles, offering food and rest for weary travelers. The farm was apparently located on the north side of present Highway 230 at the site where the DuPont Company’s new dredge was assembled last year, and is now operating. Also in this area was an Indian War Fort, Van Cortland, built for the protection of early settlers around Kingsley Lake and elsewhere in the sand hill area of Trail Ridge. Bits of broken crockery, bottles and other household items have been found in recent years at the site of Mrs. Monroe’s, as well as Spanish coins dating back to 1773, and several American coins, including a three-cent piece dated 1833, and others from 1840, 1846 and 1851. These coins were salvaged by Kenny Scarbro, a maintenance engineer with the DuPont Company, from the sump of the dredge that sucks up ilmenite ore from a moving lake. All of the coins were badly bent or mangled by passing through the dredge crusher.
Daniel Plummer’s Spanish land grant along the St. Johns. Later bought by Ambrose Hull.
Usually called Laurel Grove.
A stop on the Florida Transit and Peninsular RR (est.1861), called Atlantic, Gulf and West India RR (from 1872). Only reference is in 1929.
Creek running from St. Johns River State College through Doctors Lake Estates. Shown on Pengree’s Elm Springs land grant. Named after Gov. Queseda.
Newburg (shown as Florence in 1891)
Thirteenth of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations (est. 1882 and closed before 1900). First appearing on a map in 1891 where it is called Florence, and finally in 1916. It’s possible that maps copied each other so that its printed appearance outlasted its populated status. It boasted a post office from 1891 through 1894, kept in the home of Bill Chestnut (see Parade of Memories, pg 221).
Novella (Novilla, Florence Mills)
Third stop of the Green Cove Springs & Melrose RR Stations. Webb’s directory (1885) indicates it was established by G. E. Hunt, the postmaster, in 1883. It is located on a bluff overlooking the railway. It has a school. Boasted a post office from 1884 through 1896.