Towns and Settlements O-P

Palan (possibly was earlier called Chesuuiskia)

One of the few settlements to appear between the Seminole Wars and the Civil War. It boasted a post office from 1858 through 1867. Its first and only appearance on a map is in 1865 (General Topographical Map Sheet XI) as a cluster of houses on a trail from Middleburg southeast to Bellamy Road. It may have succumbed to Civil War hostilities.

The Parlor City

Green Cove Springs.

Oak Ridge (Perhaps later called Oypas)

Boasted a post office in 1889. No other references.

Old Hut

A marking on 1834 Pousson map (in the vicinity of Whitesville / Middleburg. Not otherwise referred to.

Old Field (Oldfield) Pond

(34-8-23)

Orange Park

Originally part of the Upper Crisp, and later part of Pengree and Kingsley’s Laurel Grove,  Orange Park occupies the area north of Doctors Lake. Mills are shown in its vicinity as early as 1864. It was developed in 1877 by Washington Benedict when his development company platted it and sold lots. Its name first appears on a map in 1882, and it was incorporated in 1891 (General Acts and Resolutions Adopted by the Legislature of Florida)

Webb’s directory (1885) indicated that Orange Park had one hotel, three stores and NO saloon. W. A. Benedict (the founder) was also the principal of Clay Collegiate Institute. The dock extended 1,400 feet and cost $7,700. Benedict bought the land for Orange Park for $32,500.

Oypas, Oxpas (Perhaps prev. Oak Ridge)

Boasted a post office from 1889 through 1907. First appeared on a map in 1898 (source lost), and again in 1900 and finally in 1909. Not much is known, other than W. H. Biggs, the Supt. of Registration lived there and resigned June 24, 1904.

Penney Farms (prev. Long Branch)

The beautiful retirement community of Penney Farms. Previously it had been promoted by Robert L. Dowling and the Florida Farms & Industries Co. The Archives has an interesting pamphlet trying to attract pecan growers and farmers. J. C. Penney purchased that property and once again promoted

Peoria

The settlement of Peoria enjoyed a post office from 1886 to 1932. It is located in the vicinity of Peoria Road. James Silcox hauled freight with his teams of oxen from Doctors Lake into the interior of the county. Plat book 2, pg 42 shows the location of the railroad depot. It first appeared on a map in 1886 (source lost) and again in 1888, last appearing in 1932.

Peter’s Creek

Peters Creek 1880

A tributary of Black Creek, starting in the southeast portion of the county, winding around Governors Creek and emptying into Black Creek near where it joins with the St. Johns. “The Ford” is shown, from the travelogue “Ekoniah Scrub” by Louise Seymour Townsend.

Shown on the circa 1889 Cram map as a station name on the Green Cove Springs & Melrose railroad.

Piney Grove (Pine Grove)

BCC Minutes show a voting precinct was moved from Piney Grove to Fouts Mill.

Owned by Goold T. Butler. See details.

Parade of Memories deduces Piney Grove was once called Scrub and may then have become the nucleus for Belmore.

The Oak Grove Baptist church met in the Pine Grove school house from 1915 through 1918, when it became defunct.

Pleym’s Island

Now called Creighton Island, after John W. Creighton, who bought Andrew Pleym’s land grant.

Preachers Retreat

Shown on the 1885 Jacksonville Board of Trade Report, on the west side of Kingsley Lake, but not otherwise referred to.

Prox

Associated with Bellamy Road, its exact position is unknown. It has not been found on maps. It boasted a post office from 1911 through 1916.

Scroll Up