Timber

1881 Forest MapTimber has been cut in the Clay County area at least since British Colonial Times. Francis Fatio wrote in 1785 that there is "an abundance of timber of superior quality, suitable for shipbuilding, lumber [and] staves". It continued uninterrupted into Territorial Times when John Audubon saw live oak cutters in the White Sulphur (Green Cove Springs) area in 1822 [see Parade of Memories, pg. 65] In the same year, Robert Cowan illegally cut trees on government land [pg. 33]

Ambrose HartBy 1881, a forestry map shows that, while some virgin long leaf yellow pine remains in Clay County, most of the timber has been clear cut. Logs were floated down Black Creek to sawmills, or cut at upstream mills and barged out. Logs and lumber were transported on the east-west Green Cove Springs & Melrose railroad to clear the souther portion of the County. Notice two little white areas along Black Creek -- these are likely to be cypress, which, by 1881, had also been harvested. The large green area of virgin timber in the northwest of the County was harvested when the Middleburg, Highland and Lake Butler Railroad was chartered in 1888.

<<< We don't have much detail on many lumbermen, so copies of the letters of Ambrose Hart, available at the Archives, make interesting read.

By 1929, a promotional brochure "North and Northwest Florida" indicates that two forestry associations were in operation to encourage replanting and to protect against fires: The Black Creek Protective Association, and the Leno Protective Unit.

Other than Duval, no Florida county had more timber clearing and sawmill operations than Clay.

| You may also be interested in sawmills. |

San Lebrydo Lumber

Read how the name was chosen.

San Lebrydo

San Lybredo

Scottland Mill on Black Creek

Scottland Mill on Black Creek

At the Black Creek bridge

At Black Creek

Large Timber Holdings

As soon as the Florida Railroad (top SW of map) was given land grants just prior to the Civil War, lands were quickly purchased to secure virgin timberlands to feed the sawmills. Ozias Buddington was a major purchaser.

This Dept. of Forestry map show large land holdings in 1957. By now, almost all of the County's virgin timber had been cut, and companies were on the second and third plantings. One-third of the County's 150,000 acres is owned by the largest entities::

* Union Bag and Paper Corp. (36,192 acres)

* Foremost Properties (29,981)

* St. Mary's Kraft Corp. (29,089)

* Camp Blanding (28,000 approx)

1957 Timber Map