Historical Churches A-N

Advent Church (Orange Park)

Advent Church Orange Park

Beulah Baptist Church

Beulah Baptist Church

The church was organized November 13, 1850. Brother Samuel Stanaland and Daniel Simmons officiated. Charter members were John Phillips, Elizabeth Truluck, Elvy Baldwin, Mary Wilson, Sarah Wilson, Christanna Braning, Rachel Johnson, Elizabeth Ford and Rhoda Malison. In 1856 there were 52 members. In November 1858, it was resolved two seats in the back of the church would be reserved for black congregants.

Services were held in a log church until 1874.Martin Fouts, K. B. Drew and James Burney organized building a frame house 54 ft wide by 24 ft long. Drew deeded land for the church and cemetery in 1883. In 1885, there were 28 men and 57 women.

In 1933, the congregation was granted permission to meet in the abandoned Central School on Road No. 68.

In July 1942, the church was notified that Camp Blanding was being built and that they had until August 1942 to move. Foremost Properties deeded two acres for the new property.

A new block building was dedicated April 8, 1962.

A church history is available in the Subject Files at the Archives.

Black Creek Antimissionary Baptist Church

Middleburg. Given by Isaac Varnes and apparently vanished by 1854.

Black Creek Baptist Church

Five miles southeast of Middleburg in Sunnyside.

Constituted in 1893 and called Labon until 1895. First services were held in the Sunnyside school building until 1895. In that year, an unpainted frame building was erected and used until at least 1940, at which time there were 43 members who met on 2nd and 4th Sundays. (from WPA). First settled pastor: S. S. Proctor.

Black Pond Baptist

Black Pond Baptist Church

Community Church Keystone Heights

Established in 1925. First pastor was Rev. Edgar Mowry. See photo in Hooper’s “Clay County,” pg 109.

Evergreen

Evergreen Church

First African Missionary Baptist Church (Green Cove Springs)

First African Missionary Baptist Church

First Baptist Church (Green Cove Springs)

First Baptist Church (Green Cove Springs)

Green Cove Springs. Organized in 1889 on Gation Street (no photo known to exist). See Hooper’s “Clay County,” pg 74 for a photo of the second structure on Walnut Street.

First Baptist Church (Middleburg)

Middleburg First Baptist Church

First Presbyterian Church (Green Cove Springs)

Green Cove Springs First Presbyterian Church

Green Cove Springs. Organized in 1884 in the home of Elizabeth Shepardson.

Grace Episcopal Church (Orange Park)

Orange Park Grace Episcopal Church

“Grace Episcopal Church History 1880 to 1980,” is available at the Archives. Built 1878.

Green Cove Springs Methodist Church

Green Cove Springs Methodist Church

Organized in 1871. First pastor was S. S. Moore. See photo of first frame church in Hooper’s “Clay County,” pg 73. The frame church was destroyed by fire in 1907.

In 1946, the social hall was converted into a sanctuary. A new parsonage was built and an educational building was built on the former parsonage grounds.

The social Hall provided services to sailors working on the Mothball Fleet.

Hickory Grove Baptist Church

Organized about 1860. First services were in a log school house at the present site. Destroyed by fire about 1885. A frame house was erected and used until the church lapsed in 1902, and it was razed in 1910. In 1914, it was reorganized in the Brown school house until the present church was dedicated in 1916. In 1940, it met on 2nd and 4th Sundays. First pastor: Rev. B. W. Becks, 1875-1883. (from WPA)

Highland Baptist Church

Constituted 1910. First services in a frame school house 1.2 mile south of where the church stood in 1940. In 1921 the congregation moved to the lower floor of the Masonic Temple which burned in 1924. In 1940, the church was a school building (built in 1910) donated to the church and the membership was 57. The first pastor was James L. Strickland. (from WPA)

Keystone Community Church

Keystone Community Church

Long Branch Baptist Church

Long Branch Baptist Church

Constituted 1878. First services were held in a log school house at the present location. Afterward, a different log structure was built and used until the present church was built in 1904 and added on to in 1929. In 1940 it met on 2nd and 4th Sundays and had 70 members. First pastor: P. M. Brooker, 1880-1887. A church history is available in the Subject Files at the Archives. A church history is available in the Subject Files at the Archives.

Mariahland Baptist Church (Moriahland)

Constituted in 1934 in Rev. James L. Strickland’s home by members from the Long Branch Baptist Church. In that year an unpainted frame building was erected and used until at least 1940 when there were 7 members. Strickland was the only pastor. (from WPA)

Middleburg Catholic Church

There was an early church and cemetery in Middleburg. When the present priest came to Middleburg he had the cemetery prodded with rods and determined the cemetery had no graves, and sold it off to raise cash for the building of a new church. The old church was more a long the lines of a mission — there being very few Catholics in Middleburg early on, despite the number of Spanish surnames.

Benjamin and Mary Ann Frisbee gave the lot to the church, January 8, 1847.

Middleburg Methodist Church

Land donated by John Scheufler November 27, 1852.

Much of the labor in building the church was done by the slaves of George Branning.

A church history is available in the Subject Files at the Archives.

Middleburg Missionary Baptist Church

Constituted 1899. First services in a frame store building across the street from where the church was in 1940, at which time there were 71 members who met on the 2nd and 4th Sundays. First pastor was J. F. McBride. (from WPA)

Mill Branch Baptist Church

1920-1925. 6 1/2 miles north of Middleburg. Met once per month in the Bell school house, until an unpainted fram building was erected in 1922, and razed after the church became defunct. First pastor was John C. Sellers.

Scroll Up